Here is a fun way to use imagery to ignite that creative side of you!
Writer’s block can get the best of you. You want to sit down and write a book. But what do you write about? You can use pictures to prompt creative writing and get you started on your next story! Pictures can also help you get ideas flowing for individual scenes within a book you are already writing. So jump write in and have fun!
How to use pictures to prompt creative writing
The first thing you have to do is look. Pick a photo. Then use these questions to inspire your creative mind while you look at the photos:
- What are your first impressions of the photo?
- What feeling do you immediately get from it?
- Describe what you see with as much detail as possible. Use lighting, facial expressions, and texture in your descriptions.
- Describe your senses as if you were in the photo (sight, touch, taste, smell, hearing)
- What would you title the photo?
- Write out the scene that the photo depicts. For example, if it is of a boy on a dragon flying, write out what is happening. You could write a scene where the boy and the dragon are best friends exploring unfamiliar terrain. Or the boy could be urgently trying to save a friend. It is entirely up to you!
Need more story prompt ideas. Get your free PDF of 170+ story inspirations here.
Let’s Talk About These Picture Prompts!
Did they prompt you to get your creative juices flowing? They did for me but of course I am the one who picked the photos out. Let me know what ideas you have after seeing the pictures above.
Related To Creative Writing
Hi! I am a book blogger primarily. The aim of this blog is to help readers and writers alike. I also write the occasional travel related post. I am a nerd like you, with a passion for neuroscience and learning. Hence, my love for books and the authors who write those books!